Board of Trustees Qualifications
As committed stewards of The Blake School mission, the Blake Board of Trustees cares deeply about courage, engagement, excellence, integrity and pluralism. The purpose of Blake’s board is to advance and amplify the school’s mission, commitment to pluralism and core values.
The Governance Committee of the board is responsible for identifying individuals qualified to serve as committee-only members and to serve as trustees. The Governance Committee considers candidates recommended from a variety of sources and community constituents. The Governance Committee considers many factors and qualifications before recommending candidates to serve on a board committee or the board. The board and Governance Committee require all committee members and Blake trustees to:
- strive to be visionaries, courageous stewards and celebratory ambassadors of Blake and its community;
- support the mission and strategic priorities of the school;
- possess demonstrated leadership qualities;
- participate constructively in committee and board meetings;
- contribute financial support to the Blake Fund and the school's special fundraising campaigns.
In addition to these core attributes, the Governance Committee considers the nominee’s knowledge, skills and experience in relation to the needs of the board, including in areas such as finance, marketing, fundraising or strategic operations. Moreover, to ensure that the board and its committees benefit from diverse perspectives reflective of the school's community and its commitment to pluralism, the Governance Committee seeks nominees from a variety of lived experiences and global perspectives.